Looking for a cozy soup to warm you up on a cold winter night? Look no further than this coconut curry lentil soup!! Loaded with the warming spices of curry plus superfoods sweet potatoes and kale, this soup is packed with powerful antioxidants to help you fight seasonal colds and flu. Coconut broth gives it a creamy and savory flavor without the dairy.
This is an easy recipe – after you sauté the onions and sweet potato a bit, everything gets combined in a large pot to simmer. I like to add the sweet potatoes to the skillet with the onions to get a head start on cooking them to make sure that they’re soft when the soup is done. You could use fresh kale, but I find it’s easier to have frozen chopped kale already on hand. Don’t forget to remove the tough stems. This soup is delicious on its own, or with some warm naan bread to dip. Hope you enjoy this cozy soup!
- 1 1/2 cups dried green lentils
- 2 15-oz. cans of coconut milk
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 4 cups frozen chopped kale, tough stems removed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. dried ginger)
- 3 Ttbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a 5 quart soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sweet potatoes and sauté until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add all other ingredients (except kale) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread or naan. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 452mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.