I love eggs and asparagus together, and I love frittatas as a lower-carb version compared to a quiche. This is a great source of antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, and protein. It’s easy to throw together for a light lunch or brunch! April is prime season for asparagus, so check out your local farmer’s market to get the freshest bunches available. You may even find white or purple asparagus, to add a pop of color to your frittata! Ricotta cheese adds to the luscious texture, and the gruyere is a perfect flavor complement to the asparagus.
First, break off the woody ends of the asparagus – they have a natural ‘break point’ that should snap easily if you have fresh asparagus. Then, chop them into 1-2 inch pieces. After the diced shallots start to soften (~2-3 minutes), add the asparagus pieces and cook until they are softened slightly, about 17-18 more minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add the ricotta, chives, gruyere, tarragon, and salt – mix until combined.
I like using a cake pan so I can just pop it in the oven and forget it. Make sure you either spray the pan with avocado oil or line with parchment to prevent sticking. Bake for ~35-40 minutes, until the edges start to brown and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cut into 6 or 8 slices and enjoy!
- 2-3 cups chopped asparagus spears (approximately 2 bunches, tough ends removed)
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 tsp. dried tarragon
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8" cake pan with olive oil spray.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet, then add the shallots. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet, and cook for another 17-18 minutes, until the shallots start to brown slightly and the asparagus is slightly softened.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add ricotta, gruyere, chives, salt, and tarragon and stir to combine.
- Add the shallots and asparagus to the bowl and mix everything together.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean and the edges are slightly browned.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 392mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.