This salad is anything but boring – roasted sweet potatoes and red onions are layered with a lemony dressing loaded with spices. It’s a delicious hearty salad, or can be paired with any protein of choice. I had some leftovers with a salmon filet and it was divine! It’s simple to prepare and bright with a rainbow of colors.
Chickpeas add the protein to this yummy vegan salad, as well as fiber – while the sweet potatoes add important antioxidants which help fight cancer. While the potatoes and red onions are roasting, you can prep the rest of the salad, then combine everything and serve.
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- Large handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped (can sub cilantro)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2-3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions to a bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast for approximately 30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes start to brown slightly, stirring occasionally.
- While vegetables are roasting, combine chickpeas, garlic, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add the lemon juice, zest, coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne and sesame seeds.
- When vegetables are done roasting, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Toss to combine everything.
- Add additional drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 288Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 10gSugar: 7gProtein: 11g