Fall vegetables are some of my favorites – I crave mushrooms and root vegetables during this time of year. Luckily the possibilities are endless when it comes to cooking and enjoying these veggies! Soup season continues with this hearty yet healthy soup. I modified this from another recipe to make it completely vegan.
This soup is easy to prepare – the time spent is the prep work, which simply involves peeling and chopping the vegetables. Sautéing the onions and garlic in coconut oil gives them a nice caramelization plus a savory flavor. Wild rice gives this soup a heartiness and nice texture.
At the end of the cooking time, coconut milk and chopped kale are added. The kale adds color and nutrients, and the coconut milk adds a creamy, silky, decadent texture and flavor. You won’t miss the dairy in this soup!
We love this soup served with a little sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes to add a little bit of heat. You could certainly use chicken broth and add chicken if you’d like. Hope you enjoy it!
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large (about 1 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 15-oz. can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed (or 1-2 cups frozen kale)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until the onions and garlic are starting to turn golden brown.
- Add the broth, wild rice, mushrooms, sweet potato, bay leaf, and Old Bay seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk and kale, stir to combine. Remove the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 985mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.