I am a huge fan of shrimp – however, I am not a fan of peeling/cleaning shrimp. Fortunately, I discovered Trader Joe’s frozen shrimp. It comes in a 1-pound bag of large Wild Caught Red Argentinian shrimp, and is peeled and deveined. This is super convenient to have in the freezer and thaws easily for quick dinners. We love this recipe – most of the ingredients are staples in our freezer & panty, so it’s a great option when we are trying to decide what’s for dinner.
I also use organic frozen cauliflower rice from Costco, and frozen organic peas from Trader Joe’s.
The milk or cream can be substituted for unsweetened/unflavored nut milk, or omitted altogether. The flavor of the shallots and garlic infuses the rice nicely, and the peas give it a bit of color and depth.
- 1 lb. shrimp (thawed, peeled - fresh is fine too)
- 1 package cauliflower rice (I use Costco's frozen packages)
- 1 cup peas (thawed if frozen, or fresh)
- 1/4 cup minced shallot (or other onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 T. butter
- 1/4 cup milk (or half & half - whatever's on hand)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional - to taste)
1) Drizzle 1 T. olive oil in a large skillet; cook the shallots until softened; add frozen cauliflower rice – season with salt & pepper.
2) When rice is thawed and warm, add the milk.
3) Meanwhile, heat another skillet to medium-high and add the remaining 1 T. olive oil and butter.
4) When milk has evaporated, add the peas and half of the parmesan cheese to the cauliflower rice.
5) Add the garlic to the preheated skillet and cook 1-2 minutes.
6) Add shrimp – season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; cook 3 minutes per side or until cooked through.
7) Add shrimp mixture to the cauliflower mixture and mix together.
8) Top with additional crushed red pepper and remaining parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 169mgSodium: 868mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Nutrition information is an estimate and can vary per preparation.