Beets are one of my favorite vegetables to roast – they transform into caramelized goodness in less than an hour in the oven. Golden beets are slightly sweeter and less earthier tasting than red beets, but just as versatile and delicious. No matter what color you prefer, beets are highly nutritious. They are high in folate which helps your body make DNA and other genetic material. Beets are also high in manganese which aids in metabolism, helps regulate blood sugar, contributes to decreased inflammation, reduces premenstrual cramps and more. They can be easily roasted and added to salads and side dishes!
This dish came together after a trip to Milk & Honey Farmstead a few months ago. I left with a lovely bag of mixed greens, some golden yellow beets, and a fresh head of garlic.
Adding farro gives this salad some ‘bulk’ as well as whole-grain fiber, and adds a nice nutty, chewy texture that balances the greens, roasted beets, and almonds. I love the light lemon vinaigrette to dress this dish – it brightens and enhances all of the flavors. This is a perfect main dish or side dish, and is delicious at room temperature!
- 1 lb. yellow beets (~4-5 medium beets) – peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 4 cups spring mix (or any salad greens you prefer)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (or any nut you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/3 cup scallions – chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 t. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. ground black pepper
- 1/4 t. dried minced thyme
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Place the beets into a medium bowl, drizzle with avocado oil and season with salt
& pepper; transfer to a 9x13 glass baking dish
- Roast beets for 45-60 minutes, until edges start to brown and they start to
caramelize a bit (stir every 15 minutes to check as cooking times may vary by
- Meanwhile, cook farro according to directions and set aside to cool slightly
- Chop the greens and set aside
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic in a small
bowl (you may have extra dressing)
- When beets are done, let them cool for a few minutes
- Assemble the greens, farro, beets, almonds, and scallions – toss with dressing and serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 378mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 8gSugar: 10gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information is estimated and may vary per preparation.