I used to love buffalo wings until I removed meat from my diet. Luckily, there are ways to get that spicy, crispy flavor without the chicken! These buffalo tofu bites are delicious – and versatile. They can be eaten as a snack or topping a salad or pasta.
There is a bit of prep work to get the tofu ready. I like to press tofu between two dinner plates – placing soup cans onto the top plate to weight it down a bit. Press the tofu for at least an hour. Then, once you add the breading ingredients to separate bowls, do the assembly line approach. I found that using one hand to dip into the first two bowls and the other hand to dip into the third bowl to be the least messy method 🙂 Once the tofu bites are baking you’ll prepare the sauce. Hope you enjoy them!
- 1 package extra firm tofu (pressed)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 3 Tbsp. melted vegan butter
- 1 cup buffalo sauce or hot sauce of choice
- Press the tofu for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut the tofu into cubes, rectangles, or triangles
- Combine the flour and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add the milk to a second small bowl.
- Combine the bread crumbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and onion powder into a third bowl.
- Take each piece of tofu and dip it into each bowl until coated. After the third bowl, put onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping once.
- Combine the buffalo sauce and butter into a small saucepan and heat until melted.
- After the tofu is done baking for 20 minutes, dip the pieces into the buffalo sauce and place back onto the pan.
- Bake 5-10 minutes more.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1718mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.