Tempeh is a versatile plant-based protein that can be included in a variety of dishes. It’s a blank canvas, so you can incorporate virtually any flavor profile into the tempeh by way of a simple marinade. In this case, I used a bold and spicy tandoori marinade to add flavor to the tempeh. This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled as needed.
I use Trader Joe’s Organic 3-grain tempeh – it has a great texture and a nice nutty flavor. Cut the tempeh into whatever shape you like – cubes, strips, triangles. Then mix together the marinade and let it sit for at least an hour (overnight if desired.) Then bake the tempeh, serve with whatever rice, noodle, or vegetable you prefer, drizzle with extra marinade and you’re done! Enjoy!
- 1 8 oz. block of organic tempeh
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 minced garlic cloves ( or 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger (or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger)
- 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Cut the tempeh into triangles or strips and place in a shallow dish or bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and spread over the tempeh, coating all sides. There will be extra marinade in the dish.
- Refrigerate until ready to use (at least 1 hour.)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Put the tempeh pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet in one layer.
- Save the extra marinade for topping the final dish.
- Bake for 12 minutes then flip over; bake for another 12 minutes.
- Serve the tempeh over rice, noodles, a salad, or whatever you prefer. Drizzle with remaining marinade.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 612mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.