Looking for a healthy side dish for your holiday feast? This is the perfect addition to any meal, and a fresh and flavorful balance to many of the rich, heavy dishes commonly found on holiday tables. It has a delicious combination of colors and textures, tied together with a bright lemon dressing.
You could use pre-cooked lentils to make it even quicker! The lentils and chickpeas pack this salad with protein and fiber. I love the radishes for a nice crunch, and the fresh arugula and herbs kick up the flavors perfectly. Finally, drizzle with a quick lemon dressing and you’re ready for the potluck. Enjoy!
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 large garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 medium lemons)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups chopped arugula
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of radishes, sliced thin and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- Rinse lentils in a colander. In a medium pot, combine the lentils, halved garlic clove, 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 2 cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the lentils are cooked through and tender, which will take somewhere between 20 to 35 minutes (see package directions). Drain the lentils and discard the garlic cloves.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, minced garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add the arugula, chickpeas, radishes, mint, and dill to a large bowl. Add lentils when done, and top with the dressing. Stir to combine, and add salt and pepper if needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.