Looking for a hearty side dish to bring to a holiday dinner? This is one of my absolute favorite recipes – it can stand alone as a meal or make a perfect dish to share at a potluck. It’s even perfect at room temperature! It’s vegetarian, but can easily be made vegan (sub the honey for maple syrup, and either omit the cheese or use vegan cheese). Roasting the beets gives them a delicious caramelization and brings out their sweetness. The quinoa and kale add protein and vitamins, and pumpkin seeds give it the perfect crunch.
The simple dressing really brings all of the ingredients together. It’s sweet, savory, and just a little spicy, which perfectly compliments the sweetness of the roasted beets. What’s even better is that this recipe can easily be scaled to serve a bigger crowd. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb. red beets (~4-5 medium beets) – peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped frozen kale
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey (or maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 Tbsp. stone ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- Salt & pepper
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/3 cup grated ricotta salata or cotija cheese (or feta)
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds (or substitute almonds or nut of choice)
1) Preheat oven to 425°.
2) Place the beets into a medium bowl, drizzle with avocado oil and season with salt & pepper; transfer to a 9x13 glass baking dish, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3) Roast beets for 45-60 minutes, until edges start to brown and they start to caramelize a bit (stir every 15 minutes to check as cooking times may vary by oven).
4) Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to directions and set aside to cool slightly.
5) Thaw kale in microwave and set aside.
6) Whisk olive oil, balsamic, honey, mustard, and garlic clove in a small bowl; season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste.
7) Grate the cheese and set aside.
8) When beets are done, let them cool for a few minutes.
9) Assemble the quinoa, kale, beets, pumpkin seeds and cheese – toss with dressing and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 176mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.