The temps have cooled down quite a bit the last couple weeks, which means it’s the perfect time for some cozy comfort food. I love chili – hearty beans and veggies combined with warming spices is the ideal fall or winter meal. While traditional tomato-based chilis are great, this one switches things up a bit by using white beans, chickpeas, and jalapeños for an additional kick.
Sautéing the peppers mellows out the heat a bit, but gives a warming depth to this chili. You can use one pepper if you don’t want too much heat – we like it hot so I use at least two 🙂 This chili is healthy as well as vegan, but you can certainly add shredded chicken if you’re a carnivore.
We love this chili topped with green onions, white cheddar, and cilantro. It’s even better as leftovers the next day, and freezes well also! This is sure to be your new favorite fall chili recipe!
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, diced
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1 can cannellini (white kidney) beans
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Shredded white cheddar cheese
- Green onions, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeños – sauté for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse one can of chickpeas and put in a bowl – mash with a potato masher and set aside. Drain and rinse the other can of chickpeas and the cannellini beans.
- Add cumin, chili powder, and oregano to the pot – stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, lime juice, corn, mashed beans, and remaining beans. Stir until combined.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Optional: top with shredded cheese, green onions, and cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 201mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 8g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.