Tempeh is kind of an odd food product IMHO. It’s a fermented soy product that is high in protein, prebiotics, and a wide array of vitamins and minerals. Let’s be honest – it looks like an old sponge. However, this is a great case of ‘don’t knock it until you try it’! Tempeh is a great replacement for meat in many dishes, and is much heartier than tofu – so it can stand up to grilling and other forms of preparation without falling apart. In this recipe, it mimics the texture of breaded chicken tenders.
I like the organic 3-grain tempeh from Trader Joe’s, which includes some rice and wheat – but there are many varieties available. There are a couple steps to this recipe. First, you need to steam the tempeh after cutting it into tenders – this removes some of the bitterness. I simply boil 1/2 inch of water in a medium saucepan, place a colander over it, add the tempeh tenders, then cover once boiling and steam for 8-10 minutes.
Then, toss with your favorite buffalo sauce (you control how hot you want them!), marinate for 20 minutes, then coat with a panko (I used gluten free panko) and spice mixture. Bake them and enjoy! (Personally, I NEED to dip these in ranch dressing – luckily, I found a ‘clean’ ranch that I absolutely love: Field + Farmer Ranch! Trust me on this – if you love your ranch but don’t want all of the questionable ingredients, this is the one!!
- 16 oz. tempeh (about 2 packages), sliced into 1-inch tenders
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups buffalo sauce (store bought or you can make your own)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups panko or breadcrumbs (sub for gluten free versions if desired)
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- Ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping (optional)
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil. Place a colander or steamer basket over the top and add the tempeh tenders. Steam for 8-10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, add the buffalo sauce and butter – heat until butter is melted and blended with the sauce.
- In a glass dish or zip-top bag, place the steamed tempeh tenders and half of the sauce/butter mixture, toss to coat. Let marinate for ~20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, add the panko and seasonings to a bowl and mix together.
- Roll each tempeh tender in the panko mixture and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip the tenders over and brush with additional sauce. Bake for 5-10 more minutes.
- Serve with the remaining sauce, and your favorite dressing if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 558Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 5095mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.