The flavors of Mediterranean food have always been some of my favorites – and the dishes are usually colorful and appealing! Maybe it’s my Bulgarian roots but I love the combination of cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes, and olives. This recipe is no exception. It includes bright flavors like lemon and oregano accenting sweet peppers and salty olives. It’s very versatile, and full of protein, vitamins, and minerals. It can easily stand alone, or you could add additional protein such as salmon, chicken, or steak for a heartier dish.
You probably realize by now that I’m a big fan of one-dish “salads” that are full of clean ingredients and easy to prepare. The only skills needed in this one are chopping and whisking 🙂 I try to use organic ingredients whenever possible, to reduce exposure to toxins such as pesticides.
While the chickpeas are draining, chop the peppers, tomatoes, and olives. Then, whisk together the remaining dressing ingredients and top with feta. Mix it together and you’re done!
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (halved) or cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1/2 cup feta, crumbled (sub with vegan feta or other salty cheese such as cotija)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- While the chickpeas are draining, chop up the cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, and olives. Add to a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, and seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chickpeas to the bowl with the rest of the veggies, top with the dressing and feta.