This dish was inspired by one that I had in Santa Barbara a few years ago. It’s not really a ‘salad’, but more of a one-bowl meal. I love the combination of flavors, colors, and textures. It’s easily customizable too! I typically made it with butternut squash, but when I couldn’t find them on my grocery trip I used sweet potatoes instead. They are equally delicious!
The sweet potatoes get spiced with healing turmeric and cayenne, and are roasted until they are just starting to brown. I love that this brings out the sweetness of the potatoes. They are a great balance to the peppery arugula and sweet pomegranate seeds. The farro adds a nutty chew, and is a healthy whole grain.
You could absolutely substitute arugula for spinach or mixed greens – whatever you have on hand. Also, you can omit the cheese if vegan, or substitute for a vegan cheese. I love the contrasting textures of the almonds, pomegranate seeds, farro, and chickpeas. The lemon dressing really pulls everything together. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (can substitute butternut squash)
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 cups arugula, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese (or other crumbly cheese such as feta)
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- juice of one lemon (~1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. dried minced thyme
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, prepare farro according to directions and set aside.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the avocado oil, salt and pepper, turmeric, and cayenne. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes, or until they start to brown.
- Add the arugula, chickpeas, almonds, pomegranate seeds, and cotija to a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- When sweet potatoes are done roasting, let cool a bit before adding to the large bowl.
- Mix everything together and add the dressing - stir to combine.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 478Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 11gSugar: 12gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.