I honestly can’t remember when I first tried this delicious salad, but after tasting it I was determined to recreate the recipe! Balela is a simple Middle Eastern chickpea salad which combines chickpeas and black beans with shallots, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Then it’s dressed with a sweet-spicy lemon dressing for a hearty and healthy salad or side dish.
Balela is simple to prepare and can be ready in 15 minutes. While the beans are draining, I prepare the rest of the ingredients – chop the shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, and herbs, mince the garlic, zest and juice the lemon. The salad is hearty but bright with the fresh herbs and lemon flavors.
We like a little heat so cayenne pepper is a must-have. You can certainly omit if you don’t like things too spicy – it’ll still have a delicious flavor. One of the best things about this is that it’s easily scalable, and great at room temperature so it’s perfect to bring to a picnic or potluck.
- 1 15-oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-4 Tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey (or maple syrup for a vegan option)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Drain the chickpeas and black beans.
- Meanwhile, chop the shallots and sun-dried tomatoes, mince the garlic. Add to a medium bowl.
- Add the chopped herbs, olive oil, honey, lemon zest and juice, and seasonings. Stir to combine everything.
- Taste and add any additional seasonings if needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 385mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 13gSugar: 17gProtein: 14g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.