I don’t know about you, but the minute temperatures drop below 60 degrees I start to crave cozy fall soups. I found a similar recipe years ago and was intrigued by the addition of sweet potatoes, cocoa powder, and cinnamon – not your traditional chili ingredients! The combination of sweet and savory flavors give this chili a lot of depth and warmth – perfect for dinner on a fall weeknight, or Sunday game day. It’s loaded with protein, fiber, plus many more vitamins and minerals.
I love the rainbow of colors in this chili. I typically have frozen corn on hand, so I add a cup of corn about two hours into the cooking time. You could use canned corn instead if you prefer. The jalapeño is optional – but delicious if you like a little heat.
Fire-roasted tomatoes definitely add a nice depth of flavor, especially combined with the cinnamon and cocoa powder. This chili has won over many of my die-hard meat eaters!
We love topping ours with a little cheese, diced scallions, pumpkin seeds, cilantro, and Cholula. You could omit the cheese to keep it vegan, and top with sour cream or any of your favorite toppings.
- 1 medium sweet potato - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 28-oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 15.5-oz. can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 15.5-oz. can kidney beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion - chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 jalapeño - chopped (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, place all of the ingredients and stir to combine. You may need to add more water depending on how thick it is.
- Set the timer to high for 4-5 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Top with your favorite fixin's!
This was inspired by a similar recipe from Real Simple.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1126mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 22gSugar: 16gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary per preparation.