I. LOVE. AVOCADOS. They are one of my all-time favorite things to eat, and they are SO good for you!
• They are high in potassium, which helps maintain electrical gradients in your body’s cells
• They are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, the majority of which are oleic acids which help reduce inflammation
• They are high in fiber, which contributes to weight loss and helps reduce blood sugar spikes
• They contain several antioxidants including carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin, which are important for eye health
• They are a weight-loss friendly food, by keeping you full longer so you naturally eat less afterwards
One of the best ways to eat them is in GUACAMOLE! The key is finding perfectly ripe avocados – which can be challenging! They should give slightly when lightly squeezed, but not be too soft. I usually pop the little stem off the end – if it’s brown, it is too ripe. If it’s green and the avocado passed the squeeze test, then it should be perfect.
I’ve tried many guacamole recipes, but this one really is my favorite – the avocado is the star of the show, without any distractions. My guacamole recipe is simple and quick to prepare – I use one garlic clove (crushed) for each avocado, and season with salt and pepper. It’s that easy! If I have cilantro on hand I may add that as well – but I’ve found that keeping it simple brings out the creamy goodness of the avocado fruit. (Not to brag, but I’ve converted a few guacamole-haters with this recipe!)